Early classes were offered to adults beginning in 1940 under the original name "Fontana Branch High School Special Day & Evening Classes".
When the Fontana Unified School District separated from the Chaffey District in 1957, the adult school began officially offering classes. Offices were housed in the library of Fontana High School (Fohi) until 2002 when classes were relocated to the south parking lot area of Fohi. At first classes consisted largely of ESL with a minimal number of high school diploma and typing classes.
The first high school class graduated in 1958. The ceremony was held in the Fontana Junior High School (now Fontana Middle School) Auditorium on Wednesday, June 11. Mr. Lee W. Clark was the Director of Adult Education. There were 52 faculty members. Coincidently, the high school graduating class consisted of 58 students. 16 additional students were recognized for graduating from eighth grade. Dr. Ferd J. Kiesel, FUSD Superintendent of Schools, gave an address entitled, "Education is a Treasure". A reception in the cafeteria followed the conclusion of the program.
In 2007 a parternship with the Fontana Public Library was begun. The adult school was asked to begin a CBET class at the library. Seven students attended that first class. It was held in a temporary library space until April, 2008 when it was moved to a wonderful new facility, the Lewis Library and Technology Center, located on Sierra Avenue.
For more than five decades the Fontana Adult School (FAS) was located on the FOHI campus. November 4, 2009 history was made when the Fontana Adult School & ROP Center dedicated its new campus at 10755 Oleander Ave.
As the Fontana community continues to grow, Fontana Adult School continues to evolve to better serve its students. With the move to a larger campus, Fontana Adult School now shares offices and classrooms with the district’s Regional Occupational Program (ROP) and Career Technical Education (CTE). The name reflects that change: Fontana Adult School & ROP Center.